The newest craze (not really, most people still don't know about it) is oil pulling. I heard that term from a friend of mine who mentioned it as something I should do alongside a cleanse (that I'll be doing soon). She said the words and my instant visual was strange to say the least...I had NO clue what she was talking about. And so began my research (because I can't leave anything well enough alone...we all know that!!!).
Here's a better visual than the one I had, of what oil pulling actually is. He looks much cuter than I do while doing it…and it'd be more accurate with a little dribble of oil going down his chin. ;)
Oil pulling is an ancient Ayurvedic practice that started becoming popular in the US in the 90's. It's purpose is detoxification and rejuvenation. It's the practice of swishing oil in the mouth for 15-20 minutes, every day if possible, to pull the harmful bacteria, toxins, fungus and other organisms, that do not belong, out of the mouth, teeth, gums and throat.
A story about oil pulling (click to enlarge):
When brushing our teeth, we can not rid the mouth of all of the bacteria, so this practice daily will help eliminate the bacteria/organisms we can not clear. The mouth is a gateway for everything that enters our body, for our food, drink, sicknesses, etc. If we're not clearing the buildup of the "bad bugs", our overall health begins to decline. We've all been told over and over that our oral health is a direct correlation to our overall health, so we need to take better care and be proactive, and oil pulling does just that.
How to oil pull (best time of day is first thing when you wake up):
• Take 1TB of Sesame, Sunflower or Coconut Oil (preferable cold-pressed and organic)
(please note: I only take about 2tsp as 1TB was too much for me to swish without drooling ;) )
• Swish the oil in your mouth (yes, even the solid oil, it will become liquid within 10-20 seconds) for 15-20 minutes, no less, no more
• Dispose of the oil (do NOT swallow, it's full of bacteria and toxins that you want to get rid of)
• Rinse with lukewarm water or sea salt water
• Brush your teeth and tongue
• Enjoy the results! You'll start seeing them within no time!
• Whiter teeth
• Clearer skin
• Improves overall oral health
• Prevents mouth diseases
• Lessens congestion and allergies
• Asthma cure? Many say so.
• Helps with neck, back, joint pain
• Clearer head
• Reduces headaches (migraines)
• More energy
• Better sleep
• Some say it cures many diseases (cancer to name one)
• Improves PMS symptoms and regulates cycles
The dangers of oil pulling:
• I'm still looking.....
Here's a photo of my teeth on day one and day 6. My teeth are already becoming whiter!
I've also been sleeping harder, waking up more energized, and (TMI, I know), my monthly visitor, that I despise, was 2 days shorter! I don't know if it's just coincidence, but I'll take it!!!
After the first couple days, I became addicted. My mouth feels so much cleaner and my breath is fresher.
I've made this part of my morning routine, oil pulling while either showering or making juices for the family. Distraction is your best friend to ensure the time doesn't drag, but be sure to swish and put thought into making sure you're getting the oil all over in your mouth.
So, in summary, all I have to say is, what have you got to lose??? Give it a shot, make it part of your hygiene routine. Your body will thank you in so many ways!!