Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Two for Two on the Forks Over Knives meals - Buy the Book! Southwestern Mac & Cheese

Night two since purchasing the Forks Over Knives cookbook and this recipe was a hit with all six family members as well.  Southwestern Mac and Cheese!!!  Delish!!! 

I followed the recipe for the most part, other than the pasta.  Instead of whole wheat pasta, I used some brown rice/quinoa pasta that I recently picked up from Costco (definitely a great buy!).  The pasta didn't alter the recipe one bit and I will definitely be making this meal again!

First I made the "cheese" sauce.  This was made with onion, red pepper, roasted cashews and nutritional yeast.  This "cheese" sauce is similar to a nacho cheese sauce I've previously made and the whole fam loves it.    (Click on photos to enlarge)





The mix that went with the pasta was sauteed onions and pepper (no oil, just sauteed in their own liquid and a little water if needed to prevent sticking).


After cooking all the parts, this is the mix I had to add to the cooked pasta and the "cheese" sauce.


Ready for the oven.  =)


 Along side we made a simple salad with this new "Zesty Ranch" dressing I picked up at Whole Foods.  This Tessemae's brand is gluten free and vegan and very good.  Jason has the hot sauce from this same company and we used a little on top of our casserole.  Gave it quite the kick.   Delish!


Waa-laa!  Another home run meal from the Forks Over Knives Cookbook!!!   Highly recommend!


No comments:

Post a Comment