Thursday, April 18, 2013

Plant based eating - Forks Over Knives - Lasagna & Soups

All of our dinners for two weeks have been planned from the Forks Over Knives cookbook.  I highly recommend this book if you're looking to start cooking more health conscience foods.  The recipes are very easy, the ingredients, simple, as they're all plant based, and the meals have been wonderful.  While I've been trying to blog the full cooking experience for various meals, I get busy and at times can't give my full review, only a brief post about the meal and how awesome (or not) it was.

Here are a few of our recent meals, my opinions, and how the kids felt about them:


Spinach and Sweet Potato Lasagna:

I love the idea of this lasagna.  Love the cauliflower "cheese" and the layers, etc.  It really is an amazing variation to regular lasagna, but I can't do that much sweet potato.  I will make this recipe again, but next time I'll substitute a lot of the sweet potato for other vegetables (broccoli, zucchini, squash, etc).  I will also do a different pasta.  I like rice spaghetti noodles, but the lasagna noodles didn't soften up as well as they should have (being a no boil prior to cooking noodle).  The recipe calls for an artichoke lasagna noodle and I will be sure to find those next time (or just stick with the whole grain pasta that needs to be boiled before hand).   All and all, a keeper, with some adjustments. Kids were right on board with me in regards to too much potato and noodles being a bit hard.  The flavors were all really great, however, and we all ate it (for leftovers even) as it wasn't terrible by an means.







This was a Navy Bean and Potato soup.  It was absolutely delicious!  It had the zest of lemons in it, as well as leeks and it was AMAZING!!!  Another win for the whole fam!  Again, all of these recipes are from Forks Over Knives.
 

Thai noodle soup - YUM!  I sprouted the mung beans for the top, which was a fun experiment in itself.  The pasta in this dish was a rice spaghetti from Whole Foods and it was fabulous!   You wouldn't know it wasn't a white flour noodle.  Carrot, bok choy, mung beans, cilantro, lime, noodles and broth, SO GOOD!  Like a fancy ramen!  Again, win from the whole fam!  

We love soups, obviously!  So easy, and really filling!  We like to do a side salad if the soup is lighter, but most times and most of the recipes from the FOK cookbook are easily a filling meal in themselves!  Best thing about all these recipes, no fats/oils, all plant based awesomeness!!

No comments:

Post a Comment