Monday, April 8, 2013

Another home run recipe - Forks Over Knives Recipe with a twist - Portobello Tacos

I made a meal plan for dinners all from the plant-based diet recipes in Forks Over Knives.  The book is packed full of over 300 recipes and I can't wait to try as many as I can over the remainder of this year.  We've decided that plant-based is when we feel at our best so I cleaned out the fridges, freezers and pantry the other day, on our way to embark on this journey.  I've been "vegan" since the first of this year, but going plant-based just feels even better.  The recipes don't contain oils or fats (other than those from avocado and nuts) and all of the meals seem very easy.  (click on pics to enlarge)


Tonight, Portobello Mushroom Taco's was on the menu.  We've tried various bean and rice tacos, lentil and tofu tacos, so many really great variations for vegan tacos, and this one was a hit, just like the others.  They're so light and fresh and VERY satisfying.  You'll have to pick up the book yourself if my photos and brief descriptions entice you. =)

 
For the tacos, the recipe called for marinading the mushrooms in a soy sauce, rice syrup, ginger, garlic marinade.  We then bbq'd the mushrooms on the grill for less than 10 minutes.  Super easy and fast (they marinaded for about an hour).  During the marinade time I prepped my super yum guac, which is a chunky, pico type guacamole.  It's made with avocado, diced tomatoes, green onion, cilantro, salt, pepper, cumin and some fresh lime.  It's been a "taco night" staple for awhile now and since introducing it, our family no longer uses cheese and sour cream. =)  The recipe calls for topping the sliced mushrooms with red onion and romaine, which we did as well.  They were served on warmed over the grill corn tortillas.


I also made my homemade refried beans for the side.  I used pinto beans, cooked until warm (leave a little of the water from rinsing them with the beans if you're opting to use no oil), added some of my homemade (Chevy's copycat) salsa (we make big batches of this often) and blended with the hand blender after hot.  So, so good.  Beans with a kick.


 So great and definitely a keeper!  For those of you missing the "meaty" tacos, this is a great substitute!!!

Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment