Sunday, January 30, 2011

Hippies No Longer Need To Use The Back Door (A post in progress)

Hippie (1960's):
someone who rejects the established culture; advocates extreme liberalism in politics and lifestyle

Hippie (2000's):
Caring for the environment, helping your neighbor, attaining world peace by attaining inner peace, achieving social justice for all, living simply and simply living.

Why the hell wouldn't I want to be one?!?!

Modern Hippie Mag

I'm "granola", apparently...avid recycler, vegetarian, support local, I grow my own food and eat organic (when possible), use reusable bags, I believe in natural medicine. I practice attachment parenting, cloth diapered my babies, breast fed until they weaned, co-slept, wore my babies, delayed vax, and yes, I've even hugged trees. I could go on. If those things make me a hippie, then I'm proud to be one.

"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds." Bob Marley
Become conscientiously aware~Change your mindset~Fuel desire with emotion


I may be only one person, but I have four little people looking to me for guidance. If I teach them the things that I'm passionate about, all I care for will carry on.

After my father passed away, I realized that having a family was about so much more than love and tradition. It's about legacy. Yes, that seems so cliche' to say, but really, it's as simple as that. It's through me, that he gets to carry on whatever message he wants to send the world, what impact he wants to have on the future. Everything he and my mom taught me was so much more than survival. It was about making a difference. About being better than the last generation. How I didn't think about that until recently, I don't know (and please, no emails telling I'm stupid for just realizing this. ;p ) My point is, I have this opportunity, to teach these four little people in my life whats important to me. I'm not talking about religion and politics. They can learn and research those subjects on their own (just as my parents allowed me to). It's about teaching them how to make something, anything, better. How to never fall into the ruts of doing everything the simple way, about working a bit harder for something that gives you no monetary compensation, but a feeling inside that lasts a lot longer than the dollar.

"Feed them on your dreams" (Crosby, Stills & Nash)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~







All images from 2006.

"You may say that I'm a dreamer, But I'm not the only one..." (John Lennon)

The innocence of children...a home video from 2006. This was on Easter morning when they were a little amp'ed from the Easter Bunny's visit. I had to share Olivia running around with her little cloth diapered butt singing and dancing like a ballerina. This.is.my.life:


Oh, and don't forget to do your Yoga.

No comments:

Post a Comment